Friends of Marymoor Park

May 28, 2014 Meeting Summaries

-- see also the March 26, 2014  meeting summary 

1) Introductions: Norah Robinson, King County Parks; Glenn Eades, neighbor and Eastside Audubon; Bertha Eades, neighbor; Jim Mackey, Friends of Lake Sammamish State Park and Lake Sammamish Yacht Club; Michael Hobbs, Eastside Audubon, FOMP Secretary; Laura Hall, Marymoor Community Gardener's Association.

2) CIP/Project/Facility Updates

a) Birdloop – Planting around the Viewing Mound is on hold until the Poison Hemlock infestation is dealt with. Thus, temporary irrigation is not needed at this time. Asphalt Trail repairs are likely to appear on the 2015-16 capital budget. Norah has also put in for money for a new boardwalk, though they have probably not asked for enough money for the whole boardwalk. Michael suggested that it would be possible to break the project into 3-4 years. Probably a designer/consultant will need to be hired, and hopefully Eastside Audubon will provide an initial proposal to guide the designer. Eastside Audubon has already done significant work towards presenting a proposal. Michael suggested that *something* might want to be done in 2014 just for safety. Norah will look into either demolishing the pavement this year, or perhaps simply filling some of the potholes with gravel fines.

Glenn also mentioned that EAS will address some of the Himalayan Blackberry problem in Snag Row.

b) Community Gardens

1) Bees: In place and doing fine, though the sign already needs maintenance. The gardeners are happy to have the bees. Norah mentioned that one of the hives may have a sickness, according to a parks employee that has knowledge of bees. This is a pilot project, to be reviewed in 2-3 years.

2) ADA beds / Eagle Scout candidate: currently in process – it’s been approved by the local chapter, and has been submitted to the higher Eagle Scout committee for final blessing.

3) There are 14 people on the waiting list for plots.

c) Marymoor West and the Boathouse Project: The SRA is close to getting lights installed in the parking lot.

d) Concert Venue: New power supplies have been added throughout the venue. This involved significant trenching, which was preceded by archeological test holes. It was deemed that the area was not archeologically sensitive. There will now be lighting in the clump of large Doug Firs, which has always been too dark for safety. There is also better power available for the vendors, and additional power for the stage for things like video screens.

The concert vendor would like to adjust the concert fencing to put the South Picnic Shelter *outside* the fence (including most of the clump of tree there), but include the North Picnic Shelter *inside* the concert venue fencing. Norah is also looking to build a new, temporary picnic shelter just north of the venue, with close access to the playground and restrooms.   Comments on this generally expressed support, as the current vendor seems to be thinking creatively about how to improve the venue for patrons, and improve the appearance of the venue generally, without greatly expanding the footprint.

e) Lot B – the surplus gravel from Cavalia was spread over Lot B without proper permits or authority. Parks is trying to figure out how to remove material, and how to reconfigure the lot in a way that can be permittable. Norah would like a reversion to a grass and gravel lot, though properly drained and properly set up with designated parking lanes. Michael objected to the destruction of what has been a seasonal wetland that has been heavily used by migrating birds. Norah suggested that Eastside Audubon, the Marymoor Community Gardeners, and other interested parties might want to send comments through Norah to the permitting officer.

f) Sammamish Transition Zone – The next Stakeholder’s Advisory Committee meeting is June 11.

g) Clise Mansion – ADA compliant bathroom is close. Some painting work is also ongoing or imminent. Other upgrades and repairs are pending funding. Currently, the mansion is not being rented out for weddings or corporate events; the current vendor is not focused on those uses, and the mansion repairs and enhancements are an impediment to renting the facility out. Once the upgrades are complete, Parks will investigate finding a new vender, or possibly managing the facility themselves.

Next Meeting: June 25, 2014, at the Art Barn

These notes do not constitute an official record of the meeting.  They may have inaccuracies and omissions.  If anyone has any complaints about the content of these notes, they should direct them to Michael Hobbs at fomp@marymoor.org, and he will endeavor to correct them.

 

Home | Mission | Members | Events | News | Maps | Getting There | Contact Us | Links | Search
Meeting Summaries |
Wildlife at Marymoor | Birding at Marymoor Park

Problems, comments, suggestions?  Email the FOMP webmaster at webmaster@marymoor.org